Thursday 30 June 2011

Pondevedra European Championships

Gosh, what a fantastic competition! It was amazing to be cheered on by so many Brits, in Pontevedra competing as age groupers, plus the Spanish crowds shouting bravo in my first International and only fourth triathlon!
My personal challenge was the steep hill on the run where a lovely man walked beside me every inch of the way shouting encouragement, twice. I couldn't even look up to see his face, but he approached me in town the next day to ask how I got on. I recognised his voice instantly and thanked him profusely.
I had a great swim and bike, beating the current European champ into second place, but the run was a bit beyond my current experience in a race chair. Still, only 6:30 minutes to improve on and there are a few months to go before the Worlds in Beijing. I think I definitely earnt that silver medal though as it was a tough course in 43 degree heat. It's just a shame that there are no other Tri1 women competing internationally, as surely if I can do six months of training aged 46 and compete for GBR, other women can. We really need to push the standards up too.
I had time to watch the elite men running through the historic streets of Pontevedra whilst enjoying a couple of celebratory cervezas, then cheekily asked Alistair for a piccy after the awards ceremony. When they play the National Anthem and you're wearing GBR kit, it's a very special moment, one I won't forget in a hurry!



No comments:

Post a Comment