Saturday 12 March 2011

Physio and Yarborough training

This is the cheery lot of novices at Yarborough in Lincoln, before they did a Duathlon...
As I have my very first wheelchair racing competition tomorrow, I decided to practise transitions while I had Judith and Doug all to myself, and save my arms.
My lovely Neuro Physio Laura came and watched me cycle before her hockey practise, to see how I am using my left shoulder on the handbike. I have compensated for years for my weaker right side when walking with sticks, and now have muscle weakness and imbalances in my left side. I even manage to compensate on the bike! I can't hide anything from Laura...She has known me since my initial rehab post injury, and knows all my tricks! Still, I have lots more mobility in my shoulder now since we started working on it in January for which I am very grateful. Still some room for improvement, but it will come right eventually. It took nearly six years to get it wrong, now I just have to unlearn bad habits. I'm going to set up the turbo in the hall with a mirror in front so that my brain logs the new pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment