Thursday 17 February 2011

Parallel Success, Poolmate and Peristeen!

At Loughborough University High Performance Athletics Centre on Sunday for an Aviva Parallel Success Talent Introduction Day organised by Job King (EA) and Katie Jones (UKA). Coaches were Ed Grazier and Lincoln Asquith for wheelchair racing. It was a great day and Lincoln was an amazing coach! I need to drive into the push rim to pick up my top speed, then maintain it, with more explosive work in the gym to help. It's wonderful how supportive everyone is, considering my age :-) and the fact that I'm doing Paratriathlon!

This week of training has been my hardest yet, with nearly 8 hours planned, and two sessions a day. Decided to do a supersprint 'Brick' session on Tuesday, with a timed 750m swim instead of 400m. Pleased with my time of 17mins and reckon I'll be faster in a wetsuit! Cycle of 10km then off onto the road for the first time in my racing chair with a wonky compensator-and I made it to the track in the evening...I'm going to chat to Chris at Meridian about protein/carb supplements to see if I can increase my energy levels for training hard.

I've been playing around with my new "poolmate' watch this week. It counts laps, metres, time, calories, average strokes, but more importantly efficiency. I still forget to set it properly and I haven't got the hang of interrogating it afterwards, but it's a great bonus.

On a more personal note, I'm on a trial of Peristeen for bowel management for a month having finally persuaded my G.P. and been trained by the Coloplast nurse Tuesday. I'm hoping it will enable me to compete without any worries and reduce the number of UTI's I currently get. Any SCI person will know that this aspect of an injury is usually the hardest one to come to terms with.

No comments:

Post a Comment