Sunday 20 February 2011

Cyclemania!

I was determined to do an 18km ride this weekend, so I decided to map a route out. I prefer not to cover the same ground twice, but in the end, I got a little lost down the small windy lanes and I missed the nice circular route. Layla and I were out for an hour and twenty minutes of almost non-stop cycling, with a fast downhill section going over 30km/hr! A quick transition to the race chair and off onto the road for a 15 min push, which was surprisingly 'easy' after the handbike. The change in position is nice, as my legs spasm more when straight in the footrests of the bike.
A bit wiped out this morning though, so perhaps overdid it. It didn't help that I also slept particularly badly. Still, off for a Hospital appointment for 9:30am so no lie-in to recover. Saw the continence nurse to try and sort my pesky bladder out. Only six weeks after having Botox injections and it has failed already. I have heard that most Triathletes who do longer distances have learnt to wee whilst in their wetsuits and on the bike, but that isn't an option for a girl who does ISC (that's Intermittant Self-Catheterisation or emptying your bladder with a thin tube called a catheter).
As if I hadn't done enough, Danny gave me a new program in the gym today and I will now have to fight the big boys for the free weights and the station at Meridian. My lovely support worker Becki washed my bike and brought it into the house for me and I attached the turbo to the bike in my narrow hall. It fits without the footrests on, so I just put my legs on the floor, strap myself in and go nowhere! A very strange sensation, but I am concentrating on smooth cadence for only 15 mins. The bike is 7 foot long, and probably won't go into the sitting room door as it's a 90 degree turn, so no telly to pass the time for me.


1 comment: