Thursday 27 January 2011

To try or not to try?


Well, feeling a bit tired this week as not getting good quality sleep at the moment. Seem to be awake until 1am tossing and turning, then wake up at 7:10am when the kids get ready for school. I'm dreaming about triathlon, which is me stressing about it all. When I've actually done an event, I'll be able to plan in my head how and when things should happen. One particularly bad dream had me hit by a truck-needless to say, there were not many intact bits of me left as I ride inches from the ground...I have bought some mini red LED's. I hope they help.
Training this week was meant to be a bit more intense but I can't fit the three sessions for each sport in without major muscle soreness and fatigue. On the plus side I joined Meridian as a member and don't have to sneak into the sauna anymore when I am blue from swimming...
The 'run' training (if only...) is long intervals this week, which means a mile at a time, with one minute rest between two sets. I'm really pleased that I have already dropped ten minutes from my estimated race time for 5km. That's after two weeks of training and three weeks with a different chair.
The disappointing moment in my brief euphoria is that BTF have organised a talent ID date on 12/13th February in Loughborough which consists of a 400m swim (I'm already a minute faster than the world champ and haven't started speed training or improved my turns yet, so no worries there) and a 3km run. Agh! The timing is awful with me only being back to training for 3.5 weeks. I know that I need to beat a time of 34:58 for 5km to place third in the world (standards aren't that high yet) and my estimated race time is currently 40:28. I know I can do it with enough training and a well fitting chair, but this is what puts me off:

In 2011, unless there are exceptional circumstances, no athlete who was unsuccessful will be allowed to compete for team GB at a major championship, this includes all world and European triathlon and duathlon competitions

Do I try and possibly fail as I only have two weeks to train? Or should I just relax, enjoy my new found fitness and friends and see what the future holds?

No comments:

Post a Comment