Tuesday 14 December 2010

Training at Cleethorpes A.C.


I am very fortunate to have my son's sprint coach, Pete, to help me train at Cleethorpes track every Tuesday and Thursday, plus a beginners training session kindly given to me by Pete Wyman. There are two young athletes who are keen to participate in wheelchair racing and showing great potential for the sport and I am supervising the session at the moment. They both certainly keep me on my toes and whilst they may have speed, I am concentrating on endurance, as the race portion of paratriathlon comes after the swim and cycle.
I am trying to get funding for a roller to train with for speed and technique and will be sending off application in the new year. We need £900 to purchase one roller. Ouch! Luckily, the manager of the track, Maggie, has agreed a space where we might store and use the equipment and is also keen to help with coaching.
Unbelievably, this small group is the first wheelchair sport in the whole of Lincolnshire, which is shameful really. I'm hoping to set up a handcycling club too, so perhaps things will slowly improve for those with disabilities in our area.
I've also been in talks with staff at the Meridian Leisure Centre in Louth about starting up a Triathlon Club and a disability forum group which aims to make sporting opportunities more inclusive. They have kindly done a strength and conditioning programme for me focusing on key areas I need for all three sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment