Friday 31 December 2010

Meccano set!


Well, a meccano set arrived this morning and is in my hallway. I'm not quite sure how all the bits go together...but have emailed some friends who may be able to help me. Of course, it is New Year's Eve, so I'm not expecting anyone until next year...but I really, really want to go for a cycle on New Year's day as that will set the tone for the rest of the year perfectly!
Despite having labels all over the outside stating, 'Goods for disabled person, relief claimed' my handbike was kept at Stanstead when it arrived from the U.S. on Wednesday and FedEx phoned to say VAT was due. I'd made at least six phonecalls to various departments at HMRC before it was shipped and was assured that I would not need a declaration as the tariff code meant the handbike was definitely exempt. Perhaps those government cuts will mean more efficiency at HMRC...
I got hold of Ian at FedEx, downloaded an app on my iphone to scan the declaration form and emailed it to the three people he suggested. Bingo! Cleared within a day and a welcome knock on the door this morning. Now, where is my spanner set?

1 comment:

  1. hi liz, good luck with the meccano. im in the process of the same thing myself, scraping together money and bits of kit oh and trying to pick my first triathlon "gulp"

    good luck!

    :)

    ReplyDelete